Hurricane Harvey Recovery Continues
If you are a homeowner whose residence was damaged and continues to need repair, grants are now available for reconstruction or rehabilitation. Following application, eligible homeowners sign a three-year unsecured forgivable promissory note. If the house is sold or used as collateral for a loan before the end of the three-year period, a prorated amount must be paid back.
FEMA was here but many homeowners did not qualify for their assistance. Some homeowners’ insurance did not cover the damage for a variety of reasons. Volunteer groups stepped in but still not every home was repaired. Unscrupulous contractors accepted payment for repairs never completed. So here is another opportunity for assistance.
The Homeowner Assistance Program, HAP, offers rehabilitation if the amount for repairs is less than $65,000. If the amount for repairs is over $65,000, the home may qualify for reconstruction. Contractors who will provide these services have been pre-qualified by the General Land Office. The repairs and reconstruction must meet state and local codes and meet Green Building Standards as well as reduce the impacts of future disasters.
If you qualify for assistance through HAP, it will be necessary to find a place to live during the construction. All possessions must be moved and stored elsewhere. The homeowner is responsible for paying these expenses and any increases in property taxes.
Applications may be downloaded and printed from the website: http://recovery.texas.gov/individuals/programs/homeowner-assistance/coastal-bend/index.html
Individual assistance for residents of Aransas, Bee, Jim Wells, Kleberg, Nueces, Refugio, & San Patricio Counties is available at:
Corpus Christi HAP Regional Office
1314 South Staples Street
Corpus Christi, TX 78404
Rockport HAP Regional Office
2803 Hwy 35 N
Rockport, TX 78382
Residents of Bastrop, Burleson, Caldwell, Calhoun, Comal, DeWitt, Fayette, Goliad, Gonzales, Grimes, Guadalupe, Jackson, Karnes, Lavaca, Lee, Madison, Milam, Victoria, & Washington Counties should go to:
Victoria HAP Regional Office
2208 Leary Lane
Victoria, TX 77901
The hours for all three offices are:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday- 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Thursday- 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Saturday 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
*Hours can be adjusted based on demand
Temporary Intake Offices will also be available in the following communities on these dates.
- January 1/7-1/9– Port Aransas Temporary Intake Location
- Hampton Inn, 2208 HWY 361, Port Aransas, TX 78373
- Hours – Monday 12-7 p.m., Tuesday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Wednesday 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- January 1/14-1/16 – Refugio Temporary Intake Center Location
- Refugio Community Center, 305 Swift Street, Refugio, TX 78377
- Hours – Monday 12 – 7 p.m., Tuesday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Wednesday 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- January 1/22-1/23 – Port Lavaca Temporary Intake Location
- Bauer Community Center, 2300 TX-35, Port Lavaca, TX 77979
- Hours – Tuesday 10 a.m. – 7 p.m., Wednesday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- January 1/29-1/30 – La Grange Temporary Intake Center Location
- Randolph Recreation Center, 653 East Pearl Street, Building B Meeting Room, La Grange, TX
- February 4 (9 a.m. – 1 p.m.)– Aransas Pass Homeowner Assistance Intake Event
- Ed & Hazel Richmond Public Library, 110 N. Lamont Street, Aransas Pass, Texas 78336
- February 5 (3 p.m. – 7 p.m.) – Ingleside Homeowner Assistance Intake Event
- Humble Youth Recreation Center, 2821 W Main Street, Ingleside, Texas 78362
- February 6 (9 a.m. – 1 p.m.) – Taft Homeowner Assistance Intake Event
- Taft City Housing Authority, 223 Avenue C., Taft, Texas 78390
- February 6 (3 p.m. – 7 p.m.) – Gregory Homeowner Assistance Intake Event
- Gregory City Hall, 206 W 4th Street, Gregory, Texas 78359
For additional information call 1-844-893-8937
Each reader can help spread this information so no homeowners in need of assistance will not be left out. Share this with your family or friends who may qualify or know someone else who is. Hopefully, all homes can be repaired or reconstructed by the 2nd anniversary of Harvey’s landfall on our coast.